Thursday, November 17, 2011

I've Found the Turkey!

The Chew Crew

This Thanksgiving is going to be a bit different for us. We usually are with family in Memphis, Raleigh or Pittsburgh/Atlanta. We bring a few side dishes and apps and probably a bottle of wine. We sit and eat, watch some football or play cards, and head home. No clean up, no leftovers, no problem.

Our Fake-anadian family (all American friends who live here...trying to come up with a name) will all be at our place this year. It is the first year I am actually responsible for the turkey. It obviously is on a Thursday, but since Canada celebrated their Thanksgiving in October, it will be a regularly scheduled Thursday for the people in Toronto.

We are excited for our little holiday celebration here. The weather finally turned cold. Like need a jacket cold. The Macy's Parade will still be on here thanks to Buffalo, NY stations. And football will also be part of this day. So it should feel pretty normal, but with new friends. And new recipes.

The three others joining in the celebration are very health conscious eaters. Its a good thing that is rubbing off on my cooking. Lots of roasted veggies instead of cheesy potatoes. Keeping it clean! For the bird I even managed to find a hormone free, antibiotic free, cage free, fresh from the farm on Wednesday morning 10 pounder. Everyone is happy- no hormones, etc. and no tofurkey.

Since it is my first year cooking the bird I have read over two dozen articles and recipes trying to find the best way to prepare it. I have seen every Thanksgiving day themed cooking show on television. I think today was my lucky day. I finally found the best sounding, marriage of all types of cooking/prep, easiest recipe.

I was watching The Chew today in the gym and they gave 5 different ways to cook the turkey. I settled on Chef Michael Symon's recipe. Here is the link: Turkey Recipe. 

Everyone cooks theirs differently, but I am sticking to my decision. No amount of emails will sway me....just in case you were tempted to try. Plus, I've never used a cheese cloth before, but I am kind of excited for the challenge.

Last night I suggested to Dan that maybe I should find a small turkey and practice before the actual day, but in the name of adventure, he nixed that idea. So I guess I will update you on Thursday or Friday how the turkey was received. The good news is- if it fails, Subway is always open that Thursday. Turkey subs for everyone!

Until tomorrow...xo


No comments:

Post a Comment