Tuesday, October 18, 2011

"Beefed" Up Pasta Fagioli


Today I have still been fighting this nasty cold- sorry South Bend friends! Hope I didn't pass it along :(

However, we didn't have anything in the house in the form of food since we've been gone, so the grocery store was a must this A.M. And since I was already headed to the store, I decided to make a hefty soup to try and kick this first fall illness. 

I happened upon a food blog I have read a few times and was intrigued by her 'Skinny" Pasta Fagioli. I am going to post the ingredients I used, but if you want the original recipe here is the link: Skinny Taste Soup

  • olive oil
  • 1 onion
  • 4 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 celery stalk, chopped
  • 1 carrot, finely chopped
  • 1/2 Zucchini, finely chopped
  • 1/2 Small Yellow Squash, finely chopped
  • 15 oz can cannellini beans (white kidney beans), drained and rinsed
  • 16 oz can tomato sauce
  • 1 tsp. Italian Seasoning
  • 1 'box' Reduced Sodium Chicken Broth
  • 1 cup water (I used Chicken Broth instead)
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1-1/2 cups dry Ditalini pasta or other small pasta
  • 1 Rotisserie Chicken shredded
  • Grated Parmigiano or Romano (optional)

In a deep pot, saute onion and garlic in olive oil over medium heat.

Blend the can of beans with one can water in electric blender until almost smooth. **I do not have any type of blender here in Toronto, but if I did I totally would have done this step. The soup was fine without blending the beans, though!

Add blended beans to pan then add the can of tomato sauce, celery, carrots, zucchini, squash, chicken broth, Italian Seasoning, salt and pepper. Add 1 cup water and bring to slow boil. Let simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add pasta and shredded chicken and cook uncovered until pasta is al dente, according to pasta directions. Don't over cook pasta. It will soften even more while eating.

Ladle soup into bowls and top with grated cheese

I added the extra veggies and chicken to beef up the soup and make it more of a meal since I was not about to fix anything additional tonight. This is definitely a keeper recipe. Dan loved it and I definitely feel better already!

Hope everyone is having a great Tuesday! I have heard it is getting rainy, cold and gray in most places. Toronto is no exception, but that's just fine with us. The fireplace, some great soups, work (for Dan) and a good book have made this week just fine so far.

Until tomorrow...xo

No comments:

Post a Comment