Monday, August 8, 2011

Myers Pizzeria?

This blog was never intended to be a food blog...but after reading through many of my previous posts, it seems to be about food a lot. I guess it's just that our days involve food so much that it's a big part of what I focus on. Menu-ing, shopping, cooking, trying out new things....etc. Most of the recipes- if not all- are not mine. I am just trying out some foods that people recommend or I find fun. I will try to mix in more things non-food related....but with all of that said, here is another blog about food. Enjoy!

Last week when I was making my menu, I decided to try add some 'made from scratch' ideas in to mix things up.

I decided to try homemade pizza crust and sauce for the first time. We love pizza and I thought it would be a fun challenge. I found two different recipes online and set out to the market to get some items in bulk.

Here are the links to the two recipes. They are very easy- so keep that in mind- nothing fancy or overly incredible. I was looking intentionally for the basic recipe so that I could try it and then tweak it as I get better at making them.

Pizza Dough  and  Pizza Sauce

I did make the sauce early in the week, like on Thursday, and put it in the fridge to set. I read some comments that said it was better the day after making it, etc. So I gave that idea a try. I also used a 13 oz. can of tomato paste and 1 1/4 cup of water instead of the tomato puree. That change was simply out of necessity. No tomato puree in our store.

On Saturday night, Dan and I decided to have pizzas so I went about making the dough. One side note of the recipe- the yeast doesn't bubble. Just let it sit for the 10 mins and then add it. Don't wait for it to bubble.

We used items we had in the fridge for toppings. I didn't get any toppings at the store like pepperoni or sausage since I didn't know when we would be making pizza and what kind we would want that day. So Dan put together a jalapeno and onion pizza and a shredded chicken and bacon pizza. Both were delish. And the leftovers were amazing still too!

Here are some pictures of our homemade challenge:


Dough Rising


Avocado, Orange & Red Onion Salad...our favorite

Chicken and Bacon Pizza

Jalapeno & Onion Pizza

I will say it was a great feeling when the dough and sauce turned out and were edible. It was also a fun way to make a healthier version of a dough and sauce with much less salt and ingredients. Next time I am going to try a whole wheat crust. I will also reduce the sugar in the sauce. We like it less sweet and more spicy...personal taste change.

Hope everyone had a great weekend. If you have a dough or sauce recipe that you want to share, let me know in the comments or send me an email!

No comments:

Post a Comment