Saturday, July 23, 2011

Uncle Lee's Least Favorite Dessert

Overall it has been a nice little Saturday here in Toronto. It is still incredibly hot here, which I am sure is the same everywhere, but we were definitely not expecting a hot summer and a freezing winter in the same location. Sooo maybe this means a warm winter!? Here's to wishful thinking :)

I found a new grocery store today that I am pretty happy with! It feels like a normal grocery store from the States and has fresh produce and meat. It is clean and well organized, which makes shopping much easier! Since cooking has been my main job here, the grocery store is important! It's called Loblaws. Bob Loblaw?! (Arrested Development reference) It is really close to our house as well. Win win. I also found some incredible deals on things we eat/use everyday so that is my main reason for excitement! Gotta keep up that bargain shopping :)



One thing I have been really happy to find in all of the grocery stores here are Mr. Christies Chocolate Wafers. In the States it was hit or miss whether the store would carry them. I use them to make a really easy, light summer dessert. I call it "Uncle Lee's least favorite dessert."

Quick story. My mom is one of 6 children. Every year my grandmother would make a dessert for their birthday. Each year, Grandmother would make this dessert for Uncle Lee's birthday. It is simply made with the wafers and cool-whip (or homemade from Grandmother). When I was old enough to start helping my mom with family meals at the holidays or summer cookouts I started by making this dish. I had been told it was my Uncle Lee's favorite. Every time he came in from Nashville for a holiday I was so proud that I had made this dessert with him in mind. He happily ate a serving and never said anything. It wasn't until a Christmas meal when I was in college that he broke the news to me. This dessert, in fact, is not his favorite dessert at all. Everyone always assumed it was since Grandmother made it every year on his birthday! It has now become one of my favs though!



Here is the easy recipe: Get a package of Mr. Christies Chocolate Wafers, or any sleeve of flat chocolate wafers. Use 1 tub of Cool-Whip, regular, non-fat or low fat. It doesn't matter. In a deep serving dish- a trifle bowl works best, but use whatever you have on hand- layer the cookies on the bottom topped with a layer of Cool-Whip. Repeat until you run out. You can top it with the wafers or crumble them up and sprinkle them on top to make it a fun presentation. Let this sit overnight in the fridge.

A spoonful of this treat after dinner is all I need for my sweet-tooth. It is light, a little chocolately, and cool- the perfect Summer treat.

Enjoy your Saturday night!

No comments:

Post a Comment