Friday, September 9, 2011

Celebrity Sighting: Sports Edition



So it seems like most of our celeb sightings involve athletes...which I find kind of amusing since it's Toronto, home of the Raptors and all things hockey. Not exactly a great top-notch sports city as far as good teams go.

Last night we went to Mike & Laura's for dinner and to watch the Packers/Saints game. We came home about 11:30, and as we were driving past Yorkville (a small side street where all the celeb watching is going on this week) we noticed it was packed.

Since the TIFF is here, we decided why not take a walk around the two popular streets, Yorkville and Cumberland and see what was going on. Luckily we did because we ran into Jerome Bettis. Pretty good spot for late at night on a Thursday, we'd say.

My dad recruited the Bus to Notre Dame and they catch up with each other every so often. Last year when we were out at the World Series of Poker, Jerome was playing in the celeb tournament, but we didn't get a chance to talk to him...so I clearly was not going to let the opportunity pass me by again.

He was sitting at a table with about 6 gentleman on the outside large patio of Restaurant One. He was at the first table in a prime seat so everyone could see him. I stuck my hand out, introduced myself and we had a quick chat. He was super nice and seemed glad to talk. Only problem is....guess who gets worst wife ever. Yep, I didn't introduce Dan to the Notre Dame & Pittsburgh Steelers great. In my defense, it was really crowded and he had stepped back away from where I was standing, but still. I felt terrible! I probably asked him a million times on the walk home if he was mad at me and then made him promise he won't hold this against me down the line :)

Either way, great spot for the first night of TIFF. Still have no idea why the Bus is/was here, but he was not watching the Pack take on the Saints in opening night of the NFL. Maybe he's waiting to cheer on the Irish in Ann Arbor this weekend...

Tonight we are thinking about heading down to the Roy Thompson Theater to see the red carpet event for the premier of The Ides of March- George Clooney's new movie that has a ton of stars in it. I really want to see the movie when it's released, and the great cast will be fun to watch walk the carpet. I'll see if I can't get some pics to post.

This afternoon I did take a walk around town to see what was going on today, and boy are the streets packed! Even more than yesterday. I saw crowds of people waiting outside a few hotels and found out what star was staying where. Bono and Brad Pitt are around the corner from us at the Hazleton Hotel. Ryan Gosling is at the Windsor Arms hotel right off of the busy shopping street. George Clooney and his new gal pal Stacy Keibler are at the Ritz Carleton across town.

Holt Renfrew, the big fancy schmancy department store has all of the salon windows covered as well as the high end boutique windows. There were quite a few assistants to celebs running around between Prada and Chanel and other places carrying large garment bags and shoe boxed. Quite the sight. I ran into an assistant today (a male) purchasing thong underwear for his boss for her outing tonight. She apparently left hers at home. He wouldn't give away who he worked for, but said he loves his job...minus buying women's underwear. :)

The town is buzzing, and the excitement is a much needed change and pick-me-up. I am loving the constant flurry of activity...although, not loving the helicopters overhead as much. Hopefully the weekend will bring more spottings and good movies!

Have a great weekend! Enjoy the games on Saturday...and Go Irish!

No comments:

Post a Comment