Friday, August 12, 2011

Homemade Bread

Since I have been on a 'figure it out' kick as far as food goes, I decided on a whim to try making my own bread. Today, after yoga class, I set out to the St. Lawrence Market bulk section with my recipe- and recipe comments- in hand.

I feel like a) since I have more than enough time, b) there are plenty of recipes available, and c) I am pretty positive I can make a healthier and more cost effective bread.

This is the recipe I used: Homemade Bread

It makes 6 loaves of bread in 8 x 4 in. pans. So if you want, you can make half and go from there. I am planning to freeze 4 of the cooked loaves for later use. I also didn't have a electric mixer, or any kind of mixer for that matter. I did all of the mixing and kneading myself with a spoon, a huge bowl and my own two hands. It is the least fancy bread recipe I've seen!

The one change I made was: where it calls for 10 cups of bread flour, I used 4 cups of whole wheat soft flour and 5 1/2 cups of white bread flour. Nothing crazy.

This afternoon, the house smelled amazing and I couldn't wait to see if the bread would actually turn out. It was definitely a process to make it, considering it was my first time, but I think the results are totally worth it and it will only get easier with practice. If you find yourself in the cooking mood and with a little bit of time on your hands this weekend, I suggest giving this a try.






Now that I have made it (and tasted it!), I am not sure I will buy any more bread while we are here. I really enjoyed the process and feel like it's better than the stuff we're buying. I will have to see how it holds up as sandwich bread, but with a little butter or some peanut butter, this bread is dangerous!

Hope you have a great weekend! I promise to have some better and more regular posts next week :)

No comments:

Post a Comment