Tuesday, March 27, 2012

A Few Fabulous Recipes

I know in all of this traveling craziness I have neglected the recipe part of my blog for toooooo long. Sharing recipes I use is one of my favorite things, and the easier and healthier the recipe, the more excited I am to pass it along.

Our internet here has been a little crazy, but we are headed to Manchester on Sunday so I promise to post all about Amsterdam and Barcelona once we get to Manchester and have better/more consistent internet.

Today I want to share 2 new recipes (plus a bonus favorite of ours). Since the beginning of the year my recipes haven't been all that exciting. We've been eating a lot of chicken. Ben and Dan joke that I should start a cookbook on 101 ways to cook chicken breasts. The idea is growing on me.

But here are two recipes we tried out this week and loved:

Not my picture, but obviously mine looked JUST like that :)

The first is Turkey Meatloaf. Now, I know that the concept of meatloaf is kind of gross or unappealing to some. However, this recipe involves very few ingredients, small loaf sized or cupcake sized portions, and ground turkey or chicken. I used a combo of turkey/chicken because that's what they sold here in Barcelona.

I found this recipe on Pinterest, but realized it's from a website I refer to often for dinner ideas- skinnytaste.com.

Here is the recipe as Gina has written:

Petite Turkey Meatloaves
Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes
Servings: 4 mini loaves Serving Size: 1 loaf • Old Points: 5 pts • Points+: 5 pts
Calories:
221.3 • Fat: 4.6 g • Carbs: 14.1 g • Fiber: 1.2 g • Protein: 28.9 g

  • 1/2 small onion, minced
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • 1.3 lb 99% lean ground turkey
  • 1/2 cup oatmeal
  • 1/4 cup ketchup + 2 tbsp
  • 2 tsp worcesterchire sauce
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 tsp marjoram
  • salt
Preheat the oven to 350°. Saute olive oil and onion on low until translucent.

In a medium bowl mix turkey, onion, oatmeal, egg, ketchup, salt and marjoram. Divide into four equal loafs and place each loaf into a non stick mini loaf pan or shape into small loafs on an un-greased nonstick baking pan.

In a small cup mix remaining 2 tbsp ketchup with worcesterchire sauce and brush onto each loaf to give it a nice glaze.

Bake uncovered for about 40 minutes at 350°. After baking let it sit for 5 minutes serving.

*Now, here are my changes: 

- I omitted the marjoram simply because I could not find it here.
- I used close to 1.75 lbs. of ground turkey & chicken mixed
- I used two medium eggs
- I used a whole onion chopped because we like onion

The boys loved this dinner. I served it with rice and veggies and they really enjoyed it overall. In fact, the each get to pick a favorite meal for me to make this week since it is our last week, and this one is solidly in the running for top choice. Super easy, clean and delish.


Not the best picture, but it tastes amazing!

The second recipe is also from Skinnytaste.com. It reminded me of one of Dan's and my favorites from our friend Laura's blog- Sunday Gravy from AndBread. The recipe I made last night is a sort of chicken version of Sunday Gravy.

I did make this dinner in a large stock pot, but it had to be transferred into the dish you see above so the pasta could be cooked. We don't exactly have a fully stocked kitchen in our little apartment, but we make it work :)

Here is the recipe as Gina wrote:

Pollo in Potacchio
Inspired by Chef Trabocchi
Skinnytaste.com

Servings: 5 - 10 • Serving Size: 1 thigh with sauce • Old Points: 3 pts • Points+: 3 pts
Calories: 123 • Fat: 4.6 g • Protein: 14.3 g • Carb: 4.1 g • Fiber: 0.7 g • Sugar: 0.5 g

Sodium: 186.4


Ingredients:

  • 10 skinless chicken thighs (with bone)
  • kosher salt and fresh black pepper
  • 3 - 4 small sprigs fresh rosemary
  • 1 tbsp + 1 tsp olive oil
  • 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
  • 4 garlic cloves, chopped
  • 1 celery stalk, chopped
  • 1 carrot, chopped
  • pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
  • 2 cups Imported crushed tomatoes (Tuttoroso)
  • 1/4 tsp dried marjoram
  • 1/4 cup dry white wine (Pinot Grigio)
  • 2 cups low sodium, fat free chicken broth
  • kosher salt and fresh black pepper

Directions:

Lightly season the chicken with salt and fresh pepper. Place a dutch oven or large heavy pot on medium-high heat. Add 1 tbsp oil, when hot add the chicken and sear until browned on all sides, about 6-7 minutes on each side. Transfer chicken to a dish and set aside.

Sauté garlic and onions (and red pepper flakes if using) in remaining oil; sauté until golden, about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add celery and carrots and saute on medium-low for about 2-3 minutes, until soft. Add the wine and chicken broth, scraping any caramelized bits from the bottom with a wooden spoon.  

Add tomatoes, marjoram, reduce heat to low, adjust salt and pepper to taste and simmer for 30 minutes.

Add the chicken and rosemary to the sauce, partially cover and cook slowly on low heat for another 25 - 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, adding water if needed.

For the Crock pot:  

Start with the same directions as the first two paragraphs up to adding the wine and half of the chicken broth listed. Add the remaining ingredients to the crock pot and cook on low for 8 hours taking the lid off the last 30 minutes.

*Now here are my changes: 

- I used 6 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts and browned them in two batches
- I used two stalks of celery and one very large carrot
- No fresh rosemary or marjoram found or used, but added extra crushed red pepper for flavor
- I cooked all of the ingredients in the last step for almost an hour on low. The longer it simmers the better the flavor. I didn't need to add any water
- I served this with vegetable pasta and crusty wheat rolls

This dinner was wonderful as well. The right amount of spice. The chicken was falling apart. It was full of veggies. I will probably add some chopped bell peppers and maybe mushrooms next time to add even more flavor. I think it could be served without pasta and just a piece of bread to soak up the sauce and a salad. It is filling and clean.

So there is a little update to the recipe/foodie side of the blog. Let me know if you try these recipes out and what you think of them. I am always looking for feedback or suggestions to better our plates.

Hope everyone is doing well. We are finishing up Barcelona and looking forward to 6 full months in Manchester beginning in April.

I will post some more next week so keep checking back for fun new stories and photos!

Until later...xo

No comments:

Post a Comment